Thursday, November 20, 2008

Employee Rights

Employees should have their own Bill of Rights. This will lead to people having for confidence and security at work. What do I mean?
  • Employees should have the right to make choices in health coverage. My company only offers one health care package, and it sucks. My only choices in the matter are how many people to cover (more people, it does cost more, as expected), and do I want to pre-pay each month to see the annual out-of-pocket maximum lowered. Those are both good things to choose from, but they don't count. I should have a choice between two different health care providers who need to compete for mine and my company's dollars to give me coverage. It would make it more affordable to me to get sick.
  • Employees should have the right to protest cuts in company-match monitary benefits, such as stock purchases or 401K.
  • Employees should have the right to challenge and refuse decisions made by the employer for a job re-alignment or a job function change.
  • Employees shouldn't be threatened with loss of job for not doing something. Employers can make employees do just about anything because there are no laws preventing things from happening.
  • Employees shouldn't feel obligated to stay in a job that's sucking the life out of them because they'd have to give up a 5th week of vacation, or they're only a year or two away from retiring with lifetime benefits or pension. There should be a way for workers to change jobs without having to lose cumulative benefits that they've earned.

No comments: